TESOLANZ is the New Zealand national association of teachers and tutors of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) at all levels of education from pre-school to tertiary. The Association was formed at the Second National Conference on Community Languages and ESOL in Wellington in August 1990, and became an incorporated society in 1994. It is affiliated to the international associations Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Inc. (TESOL) and the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL).
TESOLANZ is a not-for-profit organisation formed by its members. If you want to know who to contact in your local area, or contacts for a Special Interest Group, membership, newsletter, CLESOL Board or the Executive, please see Our People.
The purposes of TESOLANZ are:
- To promote the professional interests of its members and cater for their needs.
- To promote the interests of learners of English as an additional language and cater for their needs.
- To co-operate with community language groups in identifying and pursuing common goals.
- To publish research, material and other documents appropriate to the association’s aims.
- To affirm the maintenance of te reo Māori under the Treaty of Waitangi.
TESOLANZ can offer you:
- Practical workshops on teaching ESOL.
- A professional network and opportunities to meet other ESOL teachers facing similar challenges.
- Newsletters and journals with information, ideas, advice and contacts.
- News about conferences and publications.
- A forum for opinion.
- Information on ESOL research and developments.
TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages International Association) is a well-established organisation based in the USA. It has a very well regarded academic journal (TESOL Quarterly) which has, over the years, published a number of landmark articles. It also holds an annual Convention.
TESOLANZ is an affiliate of TESOL, but it is a separate organisation and you must join TESOL to become a member.
IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language) is also a well-established organisation based in the UK. It also has a well-regarded journal (ELT Journal) and holds an annual conference.
TESOLANZ is an affiliate of IATEFL, but it is a separate organisation and you must join IATEFL to become a member.
As a TESOLANZ member, you can join IATEFL at the special discounted rate. This entitles you to Basic Membership—you receive the regular magazines (Voices), discounts to conferences and publications, etc. A Basic Membership does not include membership of a Special Interest Group and the book of highlights from the annual Conference. If you would like to take up the Basic Membership, please get in touch.